The consumerism of the street boys in the poor parisian suburb
sociology CESAMES laboratory (CNRS - University of Paris 5 - INSERM) bry/marne, france
« Le capital guerrier » (Armand Colin, 2006) is a socio-ethnographical investigation of an impoverished area from the south parisian suburb between 2000 and 2003. My presentation at this conference aims to study the link between the violence of the « street boys » and the violence of the consumer society.
I will analyze various forms of violence during my presentation :
- the violence of non-consumption and limited consumption (relative poverty, brand culture?),
- the access to the consumption by illegal means (theft, deal?),
- the violence by the consumption (drugs, guns?),
- and the violence of cultural consumption (action movies, war video games, gangsta rap?).
The presentation will also show two means used by the « street boys » to protect themselves from frustrations generated by the consumer society :
- the religion (Islamic in this case),
- the acceptance of an eccentric status close to tramp status,
Finally, I propose to discuss how these observations and analyses can apply to the « street girls ».