Higher education in the world countries: the analysis of international statistics and the results of the global rankings in education
Department for Innovation activities support Modern University for Humanities Moscow, Russia
vice-president Modern University for Humanities Moscow, Russia
Higher education in the world countries: the analysis of international statistics and the results of the global rankings in education.
The purpose of the study is to define the strengths and weaknesses of the Russian educational system in the context of international indicators. It gives the possibility to compare the positive and negative aspects of development of national educational systems and to identify the global trends of educational development in the world.
Besides the data issued annually by the UNESCO Institute for Statistics, in the analysis there were considered the results of the global ratings characterizing the basic aspects of world education.
The main criteria for comparative analysis:
1) The index of education and the level of population covered by higher education.
2) Number of students in higher education, characterizing the scale of development of higher education in the country.
3) The export of education as a reflection of the current reputation of the national educational system in the international community.
4) Rating of availability and accessibility of higher education in world countries.
5) World university rankings 2008-2009: the Academic Ranking of World Universities (ARWU) - 2009; the Times World University Rankings - 2008; Webometrics Ranking of World Universities -2009.
6) The results of the performance of 15-year-old students in the Program for International Student Assessment (PISA- 2006): the state of education at the secondary level as the foundation for higher education.
7) The level of development of distance education based on Information Communication Technologies (ICT). The assessment scale of mega-universities? educational activity in the country was the basis for the comparison.
Based on the analysis of quantitative indicators, shown by charts and graphs, there were selected 16 countries-leaders. The analysis has allowed to estimate the place of Russia in the world educational space and to determine the prospects for further development of the Russian system of higher education.